We all know how important soil health is for crops and farms, here we are looking at ways you can improve yours season by season!
- Aeration of grass land soil can help improve soil drainage.
- Having multiple gateways for cow tracks will help reduce soil compaction.
- Spreading slurry and farmyard manure lessens the requirement for artificial fertilisers, it also encourages earthworms.
- Hedging helps act as a barrier to help reduce wind erosion.
- Reduction in tyre pressures reduces soil compaction.
- Harvesting at the correct time helps to increase soils organic matter for the next crop.
- Direct drilling of winter crops following harvest using a minimum tillage method will create fewer soil disturbances and increases organic matter in the top of the soil.
- Cover your crops to help improve soil structure and filtration.
- Buffer strips on field margins act as a wind barrier to help reduce wind erosion.
- Keeping livestock inside over winter helps reduce soil erosion and poaching in wetter months.